Armed Forces Community Covenant
The Community Covenant is a voluntary statement of mutual support between the District Council and its local Armed Forces Community.
It is intended to complement the Armed Forces Covenant, which outlines the moral obligations between the nation, the government and the Armed Forces at local level.
The aim of the Community Covenant is to recognise and appreciate what the Armed Forces do for us and the sacrifices they make in order to do it. The Covenant will encourage support for the Armed Forces Community in the local area, and encourage the Armed Forces Community and the Local Community to support each other.
More information can be found on the Ministry of Defence's website.
How we intend to uphold the Covenant
- We will mark the annual Armed Forces Day with an appropriate public event to raise community awareness
- We will continue to fulfil its housing function with due regard to the needs of Ex-Service personnel, through its Housing Allocation Scheme. (Please see paragraphs 11.2.1 and 42 of the .PDF document on this page)
- We will encourage local businesses to participate in the national "Heroes Welcome" scheme
- We will promote grant applications to the Community Covenant Fund
- Our Champion, as part of the West Sussex Community Civilian Partnership , will monitor progress within the District which will be reported annually to the Council, West Sussex County Council Cabinet and the Ministry of Defence
- We will actively seek opportunities to support the Armed Forces Community within the District
- Please see our Community Covenant agreement
The aim of the Heroes Welcome scheme is to provide a warm welcome to men and women of the British Armed Forces (including reserved forces and veterans). This includes offering visiting service personnel special discounts.
Businesses in Haywards Heath included in the scheme
The following businesses in Haywards Heath are already displaying their Heroes Welcome sticker:
- Go Gourmet
- Premier Travel
- Keymer Double Glazing
- Locks and Cobblers
- P+P Family Butchers
- Dr Flex
- Harlequin Cleaners
- Fun Bags Party Shop
- Grape and Grain
- Fludes Carpets
- Mansell McTaggart
- Zip Yard
Joining the scheme
We encourage local businesses and retailers to join the scheme.
Businesses can choose to give a small discount or upgrade but it is entirely optional.
To get a sticker for your business please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information on the scheme please see the Heroes Welcome website
Information, advice and guidance
Councillor Linda Stockwell
Armed Forces Member Champion
For further details (excluding Housing Information) contact:
Community Development Officer
For the Housing Allocation Scheme please contact:
Housing Enabling & Housing Needs Business Unit Leader